Have you ever been referred to see a dietitian? You may wonder why see a dietitian and if so, how will this benefit you? Let’s take a look at what a dietitian can provide you.There is so much information out there on what to eat, what not to eat and which diet is the latest and greatest so it can be so hard to know what to believe and how this will benefit you. While you may get some good general nutrition advice from nationally endorsed nutrition or health websites, tailored meal plans should be compiled by qualified nutrition experts like dietitians. Accredited Practicing Dietitians are experts in medical nutrition therapy and weight loss.
Here are 6 reasons why you should see an Accredited Practicing Dietitians for dietary advise:
1. Assess your nutritional needs. They can review your dietary intake and assess your nutritional needs based on what you are eating, your age, health status, activity levels etc.
2. They provide scientifically and nutritional sound information. Dietitian’s have spent several years at university and undertake ongoing training and education to ensure they provide credible and up to date information.
3. They provide tailored personalised advice. While you can find a lot of information on the internet, it isn’t always correct or relevant for you. Dietitians provide tailored advice that takes into account your circumstances, currently dietary intake, lifestyle, health etc. They can then develop an individualized meal plan and goals for you to work on.
4. They provide advice relevant to medical conditions. If you have a medical condition that can be treated through dietary changes, seeing a qualified dietitian who specialises in treating that condition is your best option. They will teach you what you need to know when it comes to that condition and the relevant dietary changes that you need to make to treat that condition. They can also take into account your food likes/dislikes and put together an individualized meal plan based on this.
5. They are registered with Medical, DVA and the health funds. Accredited Practicing Dietitians are registered with Medicare, DVA and health funds, so if you qualify for any of these then you may be able to get a partial or full rebate.
6. Support and nutritional counseling. Dietitians can support you on your health or weight loss journey providing advise, tips and someone to ‘answer to’ thus keeping you on track.Our dietitian at One Point Health is Gloria Cabrera. Gloria is an Accredited Practicing Dietitian who specializes in the following areas:Weight loss and healthy eating Pre & post-bariatric surgery weight loss & nutrition Type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance, polycystic ovarian syndrome Cardiovascular disease related conditions e.g. high cholesterol and blood pressure Bowel conditions e.g. irritable bowel syndrome, diverticular disease, constipation Food intolerances e.g. lactose intolerance, Coeliac disease, low FODMAPs diet for IBS Fatty liver, GORD, gout, osteoporosis Vegetarian and vegan eating
If you need to see a dietitian or have been referred by your doctor, why not book an appointment with Gloria to help you lose weight or make dietary changes to benefit your health.