- Gently massage the abdomen working the tissues above and below the scar. When the scar is healed, which may take 6 or more weeks gentle massage can begin on the scar itself. A dry massage often works best at freeing up tissues but you can use oil/cream.
- Begin Diaphragmatic breathing to assist with soft tissue mobility and re positioning the abdominal organs after pregnancy. This also assists the core muscle system to return to a more normal pattern of movement.
- Avoid constipation and straining during bowel motions to protect the healing scar.
- Avoid inactivity and prolonged sitting. Begin gentle exercise and gradually build up your tolerance. Avoid heavy lifting and high impact exercise in the first 6 – 12 weeks.
- Have an assessment with a women’s health physio who specialises in postnatal recovery to assess your scar, spinal, pelvic and hip movements and begin appropriate exercises to regain your core and pelvic floor muscle function.
In the right direction.
Our purpose is to make your health number one! Our integrated team approach allows us to guide your health in the right direction, taking away your worry of whom to see and where to find them. OnePointHealth, all your health needs, under one roof.