With many people self-caring for their feet at home in isolation, we are finding an increase in the number of ingrown toenails and other complications from poor technique. So here are our top tips for toenail care at home.
- Cut toenails straight across with clippers ensuring you cut the whole way across the nail.
- Use a nail file to smooth off any jagged or sharp edges
- Miss cutting the corner – a spicule/spike left uncut can grow into the skin and create an ingrown toenail.
- Cut nails too short or rounded
- Pick or rip at nails
- Self treat ingrown toenails – this can lead to further skin or nail damage and increases your risk of serious infection.
- Leave nail polish on for more than 1 week, as it increases the risk of fungal nail infections. Remove polish to check for any changes in colour or texture of your nails. The sooner you catch and treat a fungal nail the quicker it is to improve.
Should you have any issues please do not hesitate to seek a Podiatrist’s professional advice or care. We are open and here.