Back pain is one of the most common reasons that Australians visit their doctor. Over 65% of Australians will suffer from back pain at some point in their lives. This pervasive issue accounts for the highest number of disability claims and time off work.
Although extremely common, back pain can severely impact your quality of life. The pain itself can range from mild soreness to debilitating agony. It can make daily activities like standing, sitting, and sleeping difficult. For many Australians, back pain is a recurring problem that they learn to live with. However, there are effective solutions available, like chiropractic care, that can provide lasting relief.
What Causes Back Pain?
There are many potential causes of back pain, including:
- Muscle strains and ligament sprains from overuse, improper lifting, or injury
- Bulging or herniated discs put pressure on spinal nerves
- Spinal stenosis or narrowing of spaces within the spine
- Arthritis causes inflammation in spinal joints
- Poor posture and ergonomics compress the spine
- Sciatica or compression of the sciatic nerve
The lower back is most commonly affected, but pain can also occur in the upper and middle back areas. The specific source of pain determines the optimal treatments.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Back Pain
Chiropractic care is a proven way to treat back pain without medications or surgery. Spinal manipulation and mobilisation techniques used by chiropractors are safe and effective for various types of back pain.
Some of the ways chiropractic care helps relieve back pain include:
- Improved spinal joint motion to reduce nerve irritation
- Manual soft tissue techniques like massage to loosen tight muscles
- Specific exercises and stretches to strengthen core muscles and increase flexibility
- Advice on proper posture, ergonomics, and lifestyle factors that impact the back
- A drug-free approach focused on addressing the root cause of pain
Studies show that chiropractic adjustments can be particularly helpful for short-term relief of lower back pain. Patients typically experience decreased pain levels and improved mobility within just a few treatments. When combined with rehabilitative exercises, changes to activities, and spinal care at home, results can last well beyond the initial treatment period.
When to See a Chiropractor for Back Pain
If you are suffering from back pain, consider scheduling a chiropractic assessment if:
- Your back pain persists beyond a few days with no relief
- The pain is severe and interferes with your daily activities
- You want to avoid pain medications and their potential side effects
- Other treatments like massage, heat, or physical therapy have not helped
- You have recurring episodes of back pain
Seeking a chiropractor’s expertise sooner rather than later is key to effective treatment. A quick resolution of the initial injury can help prevent chronic back pain from developing. Be sure to consult a doctor to rule out serious medical conditions.
Our Approach to Back Pain Treatment
At OnePointHealth, our chiropractors take an individualised approach to back pain relief based on a thorough assessment. The examination will check your range of motion, neurological function, posture, and source of pain. We will obtain any needed imaging, like X-rays or MRI, to gain insights into your specific back condition.
Based on the exam findings, we will develop a customised treatment plan that may include:
- Chiropractic spinal manipulation and mobilisation to restore optimal motion and position
- Manual soft tissue techniques like trigger point therapy or massage
- Rehabilitative stretches and exercises to stabilise the core muscles
- Advice on proper lifting, sitting, and sleeping positions
- Lifestyle counselling on weight loss, diet, and stress management
Our goal is to provide long-term relief by addressing the root cause of your pain rather than just the symptoms. We take time to explain the nature of your back condition and ways to prevent future flare-ups. Ongoing chiropractic care helps sustain the benefits over time.
We encourage you to schedule a consultation to determine if chiropractic care is right for your back pain. Our holistic approach provides effective relief so you can get back to enjoying your everyday activities pain-free.