Herniated discs are a common cause of severe back pain and sciatica. This painful condition develops when the soft inner material of a spinal disc leaks out through a tear in the outer lining. While herniated discs can heal on their own, chiropractic care provides effective relief.
What Causes Herniated Discs?
Spinal discs act as cushions between the vertebrae. They have a gel-like centre surrounded by tough exterior walls. Sudden injury can cause these outer layers to tear, allowing the inner nucleus to bulge or leak out.
Disc walls naturally weaken and thin with age. By middle age, discs are more susceptible to tears and protrusions with smaller triggers like bending or twisting. Weak core muscles also contribute to poor spinal stability. Those with jobs requiring heavy lifting, vibration, or sitting have increased risk.
Who is Affected by Herniated Discs?
Herniated discs are most common in middle-aged adults but can occur at any age. People with sedentary jobs have higher incidence rates as muscles weaken. Athletes like weightlifters are also more prone to disc injuries. Patients with degenerative disc disease frequently develop herniations.
Symptoms of a Herniated Disc
Symptoms of a herniated disc include:
- Localised pain with sudden onset, often described as sharp or burning
- Numbness, tingling, weakness in an arm or leg
- Muscle spasms and restricted mobility in the back or neck
- Pain radiating through the back, leg, and down to the feet
Seeking early treatment is crucial to avoid complications
How Chiropractic Helps Herniated Discs
Chiropractors use gentle spinal manipulation and mobilisation techniques to take pressure off compressed or irritated nerves. For herniated discs, they are very careful to avoid movements that exacerbate injury. Additional therapies include:
- Massage therapy to loosen muscles in spasm around the affected disc
- Exercises tailored to improve core strength and spinal stability
- Education on modifying activities, proper posture, and home care
When to Consider Chiropractic Care
See a chiropractor if you experience persistent symptoms including:
- Back or neck pain not improving with rest, ice/heat, or OTC medication
- Numbness, tingling that disrupts your daily activities
- Difficulty standing, walking, bending, or sitting up due to pain
- Wanting to avoid surgery if the disc doesn’t reabsorb naturally
The Herniated Disc Chiropractic Process
Your chiropractor will perform a physical examination, review imaging like X-rays or MRI, and take a health history. They will determine if chiropractic care can help based on the disc’s location and severity. Treatment may include:
- Gentle spinal manipulation to increase mobility and reduce nerve irritation
- Flexibility exercises combined with soft tissue work and joint mobilisation
- Advice on posture, proper lifting mechanics, and limiting aggravating movements
- Discussing long-term options if chiropractic care alone is insufficient
Find Relief through Chiropractic Care
While herniated discs can sometimes heal through rest and conservative care, they often require professional treatment to manage the intense pain and dysfunction. Chiropractic offers a drug-free approach to relieve symptoms and support the body’s natural healing capacity.
If you are suffering from persistent back or neck pain caused by a suspected herniated disc, we encourage you to schedule a consultation. Our skilled chiropractors will perform a thorough evaluation using the latest diagnostic imaging and exam procedures. We will explain your condition and outline the customised chiropractic care required to help you feel better quickly.
Don’t let a herniated disc disrupt your quality of life. Call or book an appointment online today to see if our tailored chiropractic treatments can provide the relief you deserve.